MYKITA: 3 Disappointments in 2 Weeks | Grateful Grapefruit ©

Get Connected

I started wearing glasses out of necessity back in 2001. Since I am short-sighted and I have to wear the prescription glasses almost all the time, I always paid great attention to detail when it comes to choosing eyewear. Right after I moved to Berlin in 2006 I bought my first MYKITA frame, followed by a new one in 2008 and another one in 2010. You can safely assume that I am a returning and loyal customer.

My latest MYKITA frame is called Daniel. He used to be a pair of sunglasses which, because of the überhuman proportions of my head was one of the least models which fit me. The lovely people at the MYKITA shop exchanged the dark glasses with prescription ones and billed me sweet €800 for the pair. Since I knew I was getting quality I didn’t hesitate to pay.

Two years and 4 months later however, I came to realize that maybe buying this last pair of MYKITA glasses was a big mistake and that the brand doesn’t seem to value its loyal customers.

The first disappointment came while cleaning my glasses 2 weeks ago – the frame cracked right above the left lens without any excessive pressure whatsoever. I decided not to panic first, went to the MYKITA shop and explained the situation. Daniel could be repaired for €30 – not for free, because the 2-year warranty period was just over. Compared to the 800 I paid for it, this was nothing so I gave it for repair. Four days later I went to pick up Daniel after a call I got from the staff. He didn’t really look like new, but was fine enough.

Disappointment number two came when, two days after I picked up the repaired Daniel, it cracked on the same spot, again – while cleaning it. It happened in the evening so I ran to the shop before they closed. After explaining the situation, the staff at the shop just shrugged and said they couldn’t do anything, but offer me to buy a new pair of glasses. I think the people from staff had fallen down on the pavement and cracked their heads open or something – offering an obviously unsatisfied customer to purchase another pair of glasses for €800 maybe in the Top 3 of Retail NO GOs you should avoid if you want to succeed as a brand. But this obviously was not an issue for MYKITA.

Nevertheless, I agreed to give Daniel for another (free) repair. And here comes the third disappointment from MYKITA – this was last Saturday. I have been developing my sixth sense while walking the streets of Berlin and trying to get smashed by a car or run over by a tram. I received a call during the week from the MYKITA workshop saying I will hear from them on Friday when my frame would be fixed. I asked if the woman was fucking kidding me and she was not fucking around. I am probably supposed to stay blind for yet another week, because that’s what MYKITA considers customer service and loyalty towards returning customers.

I am thrilled to see how the situation with MYKITA develops and how many more disappointments I have to bear before they finally are capable of repairing my glasses. I know one for sure tho – there won’t be a fourth purchase from the Berlin based eyewear brand.

This is a developing story.

Previous postThe New Berlin Papers: Moritz Hoffmann Next postRaf Simons Teasing Spring/Summer 2013

8 comments

1. amros says:

Dec 13, 2012

I bought new MYKITA eye wear, from day one I tried I take the lenses out and when I tried to put them back I broke the arm as they are very fragile and now I’m stuck with them I don’t know what to do next.

2. Scott says:

Dec 15, 2012

Hi, I am from MYKITA Asia. Accidentally, I dropped by this website and I have noticed your situation and see if there is anything i could possibly assist you.

3. Christo says:

Dec 25, 2012

There’s a follow-up on that article coming soon. Merry Christmas!

4. Mirian says:

Jan 18, 2013

I have had the same problem as you! I´m from spain and I spent a lot of money with the glasses, but the arm broke once, later they changed and the new glasses has broken another time! tomorrow i´ll go to see the optician and I hope he gives me a solution. I´m short sighted and I can’t live without my glasses!

5. Mirian says:

Jan 18, 2013

Sorry my english is not very good but I hope you could understand my explanation :-)

6. blumentopf says:

Apr 22, 2013

I bought a Mykita Oliver in October 2008 which broke at the left hinge in February 2011. It’s a metal frame which is claimed to be unbreakable. My local shop sent it to Berlin and Mykita generously sent a brand new frame back for free. After this experience I snapped up an identical almost-new one on eBay just to be on the safe side if it breaks again.

I’ve called their customer support a couple of times and can confirm that they’re a bit flaky. Sometimes I reach someone nice and helpful and sometimes I reach someone completely crazy. E.g. when I bought my first Mykita frame I called them to get a list of local shops and the person on the phone claimed that it’s secret, not everyone gets to sell their brand and they need to protect their sellers from the competition. Hello?! Not interested in selling me a product?! I also made a few calls to ic! berlin and these guys seemed even more unreliable.

I still buy a new Mykita frame every now and then, though somewhat begrudgingly, because they seem to be the best thing on the market with regards to engineering and design.

7. Norris says:

Sep 6, 2013

I just bought a pair of Mykita Aldous for my wife at an authorized reseller in Canada. After reading the above, I wonder if we should have gotten her a pair of ic! berlin’s instead??? It seems like Mykita doesn’t really care about customer service.

8. ARLX says:

Oct 4, 2013

hi,
    The first thing what I am thinking, as a optician & Mykita dealer, is in the first place, the lenses are too tightly fitted.
    The acetate has the characteristic of shrinking over the years (PH value of the skin/sweat/beauty-hair product, can fasten up the process), with the result if the lenses are fitted too tight, the acetate can break.
    Thats just the case with your glasses… (assuming that the glasses are normally used/cleaned).
    What we do in this kind of cases, we send a mail to Mykita HQ, and most of the time we can make a good arrangement…
    I think in your case its more the shops policy that was giving the troubles
    Find a good optician, especially with the metal series of Mykita, those are more difficult to make than other frames…

And about IC! Berlin… Mykita’s are better & more beautiful/fashionable ;)

What do you think?